After I made the last few posts I realized they sounded kind of whiny. I did not mean to make it sound like we are having a terrible time altogehter, and since there are so many positives that I seemed to have left out, I decided to take two!
In spite of some isolated incidents of attitude problems on Hayden's part, he has done outstanding with the trip, especially while on the road. He did well entertaining himself in the car and enjoyed playing at play places when we stopped. He LOVED staying at different hotels every night, and the fact that we were a little soft on the "rules" while there. He went crazy every night after we checked in jumping from bed to bed and doing flips (yes, he can do flips now). The first hotel we stayed in was very new and had contemporary, bright-colored decor. When we got off the elevator, he saw all the colorful circles on the carpet and squealed, "wow, look at all the lolly pops!" He was always impressed witht the refrigerator and microwave and would usually conclude "this place is pretty nice!" after examinging everyhing.
We taught him to play "I spy" one night while waiting for dinner at a restaurant. That was a big hit and we played it in the car several more times for the remainder of the trip.
He was asleep when we got to Dayton but when he woke up he said "Know what, Mom? I actually like this place!" He said he liked all the trees and flowers and the sky :) After driving around for a while he started pointing out all of the fire hydrants that he saw. He was emphasizing the fact that they were yellow. "Another weddow fire hydrant, mommy (he still has a hard time with that word, but I think it is cute). After he said "they have lots of weddow fire hydrants here," I responded affirmatively and asked what color were the fire hydrants by our old house. He responded "they were red!" I think that is what he was notcing, that they have different color fire hydrants here :)
The other night in the hotel room while I was putting Avery in her pack n play her pacifier fell out of her mouth and onto the floor. I went to the bathroom to wash it, leaving her crying a little in her bed. When I came back out Hayden was standing over her bed singing "Jesus Loves Me" to her. So sweet, and he was so cute that it didn't even matter that at the end he sang "next time won't you sing with me" to the tune of Jesus Love Me :)
Avery is still a happy, healthy and content baby. She has slept for seven hours at night a handful of times and one night she went eight hours between feedings. It doesn't happen every night but we are getting there! She is fine being toted around in her car seat, just gets tired of facing the back seat sometimes. She now is very excited to see us in the morning and wakes up cooing, not crying, which makes it so much easier to get out of bed, even if I'm tired :) This morning Hayden and I had a great time with her playing in bed after we woke up. Hayden is starting to make her laugh a little.
Matt and are doing really well communicating, working together and not getting too stressed even though, sadly that has not been the case in previous moves. We definitely feel God giving us more grace this time and have purposed from the beginning to just be patient, which helps!
We finally moved into lodging on base yesterday. They actually converted their old base housing into temporary lodging so we are in a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath town home that is fully furnished, has a decently stocked kitchen (dishes and cookware), and free wifi. Matt has gotten caught up on school work finally.
Yesterday we looked at a home that we really like in the Beavercreek area. We met the family that owns it (another AF captain) and we really liked them. We spent about 45 minutes getting to know them after we saw the house. We were also able to negotitate a great price for rent (even though they were originally wanting to sell) but they might not be out of the house for another month. They also have a chance of coming back here and would want to move back into the house, even if we are still there. He says it is "highly unlikely" that he would be moved back here while we are still here but it still makes us nervous. We only have one more option to see tomorrow afternoon. It is more expensive, but a bit newer, still in Beaver Creek. Right now Matt is at the base housing office trying to see if he can talk them into giving us a 4 bedroom house. Their housing is almost brand new and since we are looking at using up all of Matt's housing allowance in rent and utilities anyway, it is an option we are considering.
Whew! That was a long one but I am glad that my "happy" post is longer than the one where I was whining and complaing :) We appreciate everyone's prayers and well wishes during this whole process- keep them coming!
Monday, September 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! It was so nice catching up with all of your posts. I have been praying for y'all (and monitoring your blog ;)) and will continue to do so. It's OK to whine sometimes...we all need to vent every now and then, and at least you know who to turn to: God. We wish you all the best!
ReplyDeleteI hope things continue to go well as you get settled into the house you choose. Glad the kids did so well on the trip! Will be praying for an easy transition for you guys :)
ReplyDelete