Hayden has really been enjoying all of the birds we have around our house this spring and summer. We live in an older neighborhood surrounded by trees so we see (and hear birds) all day long. Sometimes he will sigh and say "I just love all the birds." Recently he got it in his head that he wanted to build a bird house. Neither Matt nor I are what you would call the crafty type, but he kept asking about it so I tried to come up with something easy. Lowes has a Build and Grow program on Saturdays for kids to go with their parents and build small projects for free. Hayden has done this a couple of times when visiting friends in Knoxville and he really liked it. I found out that they sell the kits in the store for a few dollars, so Hayden and I made a trip there this past week and found a bird feeder kit. He had fun putting it together; he hammered all the nails in himself and then I let him paint it afterwards. He picked the colors :) He was very proud of his project and when Matt got home from work they added some bird seed and hung it on a tree in the front yard. It hung there untouched for two days but this morning Hayden finally saw a bird take some seed from it and yelled for Matt and I to come see.
This year our family celebrated fourth of July by meeting up with friends at the local parade and then heading back to our house together for a cookout. Hayden was excited to spend the afternoon and evening with his friend, Nora:
Nora's little brother Evan was quite the patriotic stud, and was way too busy having fun to pose for a picture:
We filled some water balloons for the kids to play with, although they did not last very long. Maybe a water balloon toss would have been a better idea than a water balloon fight. Good thing Nora is a tough girl and had no problem retaliating. Don't worry, all explosions were friendly :)
Later that evening my friend and Nora's mom Misti and I took Nora and Hayden to see the town fireworks while the dads stayed home with the little ones. We did sparklers while waiting for the fireworks to start:
It wasn't a bad show for a small town:
The next day Matt and Hayden got in some more water balloon action by taking turns chucking them over the deck railing at each other. Nothing like good cheap fun to stay cool and happy.














No comments:
Post a Comment